Green, Poole propel Saint Martin's to win

Dynamic duo: Jeremy Green (35 points) and Blake Poole (27) lead Saints to 99-86 victory over visiting Simon Fraser

January 9, 2011 

LACEY - Saint Martin's big two scorers got their points Saturday. Again.

And this time the Saints got the win, a 99-86 decision over Simon Fraser as Jeremy Green and Blake Poole combined for 62 points.

Green scored 22 of his season-high 35 points in the first half. Poole finished with 27 after he was held to seven in the first half.

“They were pressing us and we were getting a lot of points off the break,” said Green, who capped several fastbreaks with monstrous dunks. “We also got a lot of second-chance points on rebounds.”

Green and Poole combined for 29 rebounds as the Saints had a 47-35 rebounding edge.

But despite shooting 51 percent (36-for-70) for the game and despite turning the ball over just 11 times, the Saints struggled to put Simon Fraser away. The Saints’ 15-point first-half lead quickly disappeared.

Simon Fraser led 65-64 on Justin Brown’s driving layup with 9:37 left. But the Saints answered with an 8-2 run and led 72-67 on Green’s jumper with 7:26 left.

“We showed good poise,” Saints coach Keith Cooper said. “Things didn’t go our way at times. But our guys didn’t panic.”

On Thursday, Green and Poole combined for 58 points in an 80-74 loss to Western Washington. This time they got a little more help. Roger O’Neill added 11 points, and five other Saints scored.

“Our bench was big tonight,” Cooper said. “In the first half, they helped give us the lead.”

Simon Fraser led 57-56 on Ricky Berry’s jumper with 14:46 left in the game, giving the Clan their first lead of the second half and Berry’s first basket of the game after 10 misses. Berry came into the game averaging 25.8 points.

Berry, a junior guard from Phoenix, finished with 16 points on 4-for-18 shooting. Brown scored 38 to lead Simon Fraser (2-8 overall, 1-3 Great Northwest Athletic Conference).

Guard Galen Squiers buried back-to-back 3-pointers, his first baskets of the game, to stretch SMU’s lead to 80-72 with 5:29 left.

“Galen is a good shooter,” said Cooper, whose team improved to 10-6 and 3-3. “He plays so hard on defense he’s sometimes tired on offense.”

Poole, coming off a season-high 32 points in the loss to Western, played only nine minutes in the first half because of foul trouble.

Green carried the scoring load with 22 points in the first half. He made seven of his first eight shots and was 9-for-13 for the half.

Saint Martin’s women won at Simon Fraser, 72-58.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service