Renaissance ‘fight’ arrest

YELM: Dressed in armor, man, daughter allegedly battled for 2 hours

JEREMY PAWLOSKI; Staff writerOctober 18, 2011 

A Yelm-area man reportedly upset with his 16-year-old daughter because she went to Puyallup without parental approval Saturday night is accused of forcing her to suit up in armor and then beating her with a wooden sword for two hours until she could no longer stand, according to the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.

The father, identified as Freemon Everett Seay, 38, is a Renaissance fair enthusiast. He also donned armor and gave her a wooden sword before the assault, Thurston County sheriff’s Lt. Greg Elwin said.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Elwin said.

Seay was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon early Sunday at his home in the 19000 block of 135th Lane Southeast outside of Yelm, Elwin said. Seay’s wife, Julie May Seay, 42, also was arrested on suspicion of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon as an accessory, Elwin said.

According to court papers, Seay told sheriff’s deputies that his daughter was “at a crack house” earlier that night.

At a court hearing Monday, Thurston County Superior Court Judge Gary Tabor ordered Freemon Seay held at the Thurston County Jail and set his bail at $10,000. He cannot have contact with the 16-year-old, according to Tabor’s order. He also can’t have contact with any children without the supervision of a “responsible adult.”

Julie Seay’s bail was set at $5,000. She also was in custody at the Thurston County Jail on Monday. She also is not allowed to have contact with her daughter, according to the judge’s order. She cannot have contact with any minor children unless she is being supervised by a “responsible adult,” Tabor also ordered.

Julie Seay works full time at the Loving and Learning Childcare Center, court papers state. She is the 16-year-old’s stepmother, according to court papers.

The events that led up to the alleged beating began Saturday night, after Freemon Seay went to Puyallup to pick up his daughter, Elwin said. Once they returned, Seay directed his other daughter to go outside and collect numerous willow branches, Elwin said. Seay, 5-foot-10 and 300 pounds, then used the switches to beat the 16-year-old on the back of her legs and back while she was on her stomach and he sat on top of her, he said.

According to Elwin, Seay then gave his daughter armor, a helmet and a wooden sword. Seay also suited up in armor and armed himself with a wooden sword, and they fought for nearly two hours, from 2 to 4 a.m. Sunday, until “she could no longer stand from exhaustion.”

The 16-year-old was not hospitalized, but she suffered extensive bruising on her face, torso and legs. After Seay realized the extent of his daughter’s injuries, he reportedly told her he was sorry and “he did not intend to go that far.”

A friend of the 16-year-old girl called 911 after the 16-year-old texted her photos of the bruises she suffered, court papers state.

Seay described his involvement in Renaissance fair activities as a hobby. “It’s really more of a lifestyle,” Elwin said.

Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5465

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service