Capital passes first tough 4A test

CAPITAL 29, NEWPORT 22: Cougars open season with win over 4A Knights, 1 of 4 schools from biggest classification on Capital’s non-league schedule

mwochnick@theolympian.comAugust 31, 2012 

BELLEVUE – If the first game if the season is a good indication of what lies ahead for the Capital Cougars, chances are they’ll do just fine as a Class 2A program this season.

Competing against the first of four Class 4A nonleague opponents Thursday night, Capital’s 29-22 victory over Newport came down to its final offensive play of the night.

Kai Van Sickle’s 20-yard touchdown was the winner in the victory over the Knights at Bill Green Stadium at Newport High School.

Tied at 22-all following a touchdown by Newport’s Brian Setijono with 5 minutes, 44 seconds to go in the fourth quarter, Capital used almost the entire remaining clock for its winning drive.

On a third-and-11 play from the 41 with 1:12 remaining, Tad Maiava’s 25-yard catch down the left sideline set up a first-and-10 at the 15.

Three plays later, Van Sickle rolled to the right and into the end zone with 16.1 seconds remaining for his third touchdown of the game.

Van Sickle finished with 141 yards on 27 carries in addition to the three TDs.

Up next is Olympia in the Spaghetti Bowl on Sept. 7, followed by Bothell and Bellarmine Prep in Week 5. Sandwiched in-between is Capital’s 2A Evergreen Conference opener Sept. 22 against Tumwater.

“We told them, ‘None of these 4A games are going to be easy,’ ” Capital coach J.D. Johnson said. “Tonight, I think we learned a good lesson.”

Capital’s defense came up with clutch plays in the second half. It forced Newport to punt on three drives and forced the Knights to turn the ball over on downs in the red zone after the home team had a first-and-10 at the 13 late in third quarter.

Newport, led by Nevada-bound quarterback Isaac Dotson, held a 215-178 advantage on total yards in the first half, but Capital lead 22-15 at halftime.

Leading 15-7, Capital’s Sam Hollingsworth picked up a fumble on a handoff in Newport’s triple-option offense and ran it back 54 yards to the Newport 4. The next play, Van Sickle ran it for his second score, pushing the Cougars’ lead to 22-7 with less than three minutes remaining before halftime. @megwochnick

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service