Minnesota coach has another seizure

Notebook: Jerry Kill suffers episode after postgame interviews

McClatchy news servicesOctober 14, 2012 

Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill’s seizure problems returned Saturday, hospitalizing the coach shortly after he gave his postgame press conference following a 21-13 loss to Northwestern.

Kill met with the media and answered questions for about 10 minutes after the game, looking healthy and strong. But moments after returning to the locker room, school officials said he had another seizure.

Team medical staff attended to him immediately, and an ambulance arrived at TCF Bank Stadium in Minneapolis quickly after the seizure. Kill, whose history of seizures extends back at least a decade, was taken to a hospital, where he was alert and resting comfortably, according to a school news release.

University officials “do not anticipate further information on Coach Kill’s condition being available Saturday night, but are hopeful about being able to provide an update on Sunday,” the release said.

It was still too early to tell if Kill would be available to coach next week at Wisconsin, but the hard-nosed coach has taken pride in not letting his condition keep him off the sideline in the past.


Starting quarterback David Ash went to the locker room in the fourth quarter of No. 15 Texas’ game against Oklahoma with a left wrist injury.

Ash grasped at his hand after being hit by Oklahoma’s Chuka Ndulue after a pass attempt. He was tended by trainers for a few minutes on the Cotton Bowl sideline before walking to the locker room while pointing one finger toward the sky with his right hand.

Ash appeared to have a bruise on his swollen left wrist as he was getting checked on the bench. Ash throws with his right hand.

Also injured against Oklahoma was Texas backup defensive tackle Brandon Moore, who was carted off the field after he was injured on a pass rush. Team spokesman John Bianco said Moore was taken to the hospital for precautionary reasons because of neck pain.


Iowa State running back James White missed Saturday’s game against No. 6 Kansas State with a knee injury. … Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe said that safety Duran Lowe and offensive tackle Devin Bolling were suspended indefinitely for violating unidentified athletic department policy.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service