The Olympia-based college’s Presidential Search Advisory Committee chose six finalists from a pool of 29 candidates; however one of the applicants withdrew for personal reasons, according to a news release.
Here are the finalists for president:
• Douglas W. Allen has been president of Ridgewater College in Willmar, Minn., since 2003. He has a doctorate in educational leadership from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn.
• Sandra A. Fowler-Hill is executive vice president of instruction and student services at Everett Community College. She has worked at the college since 2007 and has also served as vice president of instruction and student services. She has a doctorate in community college leadership from Oregon State University.
• Larry Galizio has been president of Clatsop Community College in Astoria, Ore., since 2010. He has a doctorate from Portland State University’s College of Urban and Public Affairs.
• David M. Smith has been vice president of instruction and student affairs at Colorado Northwestern Community College in Rangely since 2008. He has a doctorate in English literature from the University of Denver.
• Timothy S. Stokes has been executive vice president for academic and student affairs at Tacoma Community College since 2004. He has a doctorate in higher education administration from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
The candidates will be scheduled for tours of the campus, meetings with staff, faculty and community members, and interviews with the Board of Trustees in early December.
“The high-caliber candidates reflect not only the excellence in the (search) committee’s work, but the quality and reputation of the college,” Judy Blinn, chairwoman of the Board of Trustees, said in a news release. “The board has an important and challenging task ahead in choosing among these highly qualified individuals for the next president of this respected institution.”
In May, SPSCC president Gerald Pumphrey announced that he will retire in January. He has been at the college’s helm since August 2006.Lisa Pemberton: 360-754-5433 firstname.lastname@example.org www.theolympian.com/edblog