Hill at center of another domestic dispute

His latest arrest, resulting in three charges, could bring end to the veteran linebacker’s time in Seattle

Staff writerJanuary 31, 2013 

Leroy Hill may have run out of life lines with the Seattle Seahawks.

The linebacker had his fourth run-in with the law since 2009 Tuesday afternoon when he was arrested by the Issaquah police for his involvement in a domestic dispute.

Hill is being held on three charges – unlawful imprisonment, malicious mischief and a domestic violence offense of fourth-degree assault.

Hill was taken into custody at Issaquah City Jail, where he was denied bail for all three charges. He was transported to King County Jail, where a likely court appearance awaits today.

A spokesperson for the Seahawks said the team is aware of the situation.

Dan Donohoe, a spokesperson for the King County prosecutor’s office, said a decision has not been made on whether charges will be filed against Hill.

According to a press release issued by the Issaquah Police Department, officers responded to a call at 4 p.m. Tuesday near Cougar Ridge Drive Northwest about an ongoing assault.

According to the report, a 26-year-old female Issaquah resident told officers her boyfriend, Hill, assaulted her several times during the day and kept her in his residence against her will.

The woman said that Hill blocked the doorway, took her cellphone and would not allow her to leave the residence, according to the report.

The woman was reportedly able to escape when Hill used the bathroom. The woman was transported to Swedish Hospital in Issaquah, where she was treated and released.

Hill was later arrested, and, according to Issaquah Police Commander Stan Conrad, the case remains under investigation.

Hill’s latest brush with the law continues a troubling trend. The 30-year-old was arrested in his Atlanta condo for marijuana possession on Feb. 25, 2012, but those charges were later dismissed after a urine test came back negative for marijuana in his body.

Hill was sentenced to 12 months probation for misdemeanor drug possession after a Jan. 24, 2009, incident in which police in suburban Atlanta found him asleep at the wheel with marijuana in his car.

Hill also was arrested in April 2010 at his Issaquah home on a misdemeanor count of fourth degree assault/domestic violence for an incident involving his live-in girlfriend at the time.

Hill avoided trial, and reached a settlement on the domestic dispute. Charges were dismissed if he complied with stipulations handed down by the Issaquah Municipal Court.

Hill was suspended for the first game of the 2010 season for violating the NFL’s drug policy after the 2009 marijuana charge in Georgia. Later that season he was fined two game checks for violating the league personal conduct policy for the domestic abuse charge.

Hill, who has played all eight of his NFL seasons with Seattle, is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March. In 13 starts in the 2012 season, Hill had 47 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble. But during the second half of the season, Hill split time with second-year pro Malcolm Smith. The Seahawks now might be ready to give Smith, a former USC player, an opportunity to take over full time.


Seahawks right tackle Breno Giacomini underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow this week at Seattle Surgery Center.

The surgery was performed by team doctor Ed Khalfayan. Giacomini was listed on the team’s injury report the last week of the regular season before the game against St. Louis, then played throughout the NFC playoffs.

Recovery time is expected to be four to six weeks, so Giacomini should be ready for the start of Seattle’s offseason workout program in late March.


The Seahawks hired New Orleans assistant defensive line coach Travis Jones to fill the team’s need for a defensive line coach after Todd Wash followed former Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley to Jacksonville.

Jones spent the past five seasons working with the Saints as an assistant defensive line coach. Before that, he served as an assistant defensive line coach from 2005-07 in Miami, where he worked alongside new Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

In June 2010, Jones entered a plea agreement for his involvement in a real estate scam in Texas that resulted in a suspension without pay for 30 days by the Saints.

Eric D. Williams: 253-597-8437 eric.williams@ thenewstribune.com blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks @eric_d_williams

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service