A Thurston County man escaped his home after waking up to find it full of smoke early Wednesday morning, according to a news release.
McLane Black Lake Fire Department investigators say a stove burner left on ignited a pan of grease, starting a fire in the kitchen of a home in the 6200 block of Nels Street Southwest near Black Lake at around 1 a.m., the release said.
The man who lives at the home was asleep and woke up to smoke. He was able to escape through his bedroom window. The man was not injured.
The fire was contained to the kitchen. The fire caused about $75,000 of heat and smoke damage to the 1,800 square-foot home.