State Patrol seeks tips on downtown stabbing

Staff writerJuly 19, 2013 

The Washington State Patrol is now investigating whether one of the stabbing suspects from Tuesday afternoon’s double stabbing near Sylvester Park still is on the loose.

A 36-year-old man allegedly stabbed a 27-year-old man about 4:10 p.m. Tuesday in Olympia’s Sylvester Park.

The 36-year-old man then ran to a waiting Intercity Transit bus on Capitol Way and got on before being forced off the bus by a crowd of men from Sylvester Park who beat him, WSP Sgt. Jason Hicks said.

Hicks said investigators simply don’t know whether the 27-year-old stabbed the 36-year-old in retaliation after being stabbed. It’s possible that one of the members of the crowd that followed the 36-year-old to the bus Tuesday committed the stabbing, Hicks said.

Intercity Transit released video Thursday depicting the 36-year-old running to the bus, being forced off, and then being beaten by the crowd.

“It may be one of those people that was in the crowd, but we also haven’t ruled out the original stab victim,” Hicks said.

Hicks said the patrol has set up a tip line at 253-538-3100, and anyone who recognizes members of the crowd beating the 36-year-old should call.

“Our detectives now believe that someone in that group may be responsible for actually stabbing (the 36-year-old) after he got off that bus,” Hicks said Thursday. “We do not know who that is. There is no threat to the public. … Anyone with information about the incident is encouraged to call.”

Hicks added that the members of the crowd also could face assault charges.

Hicks had condition updates for both stabbing victims Thursday.

The 27-year-old, who fled to the train tunnel adjacent to the Governor Hotel after he was stabbed, was released from a local hospital Wednesday. He had been stabbed in the torso. The 27-year-old was arrested on a bail jumping warrant out of California after his release from the hospital, Hicks said.

The 36-year-old, who also was stabbed in the torso, was still at an area hospital Thursday. He is under 24-hour guard by the Washington State Patrol, Hicks said.

“They have him sedated, because he tried to rip out his tubes and stuff,” Hicks added.

Tuesday’s stabbing in Sylvester Park has prompted safety concerns of the park, where a large number of transients and street people congregate. The State Patrol is in charge of the park, because it is owned by the state and is considered part of the Capitol Campus.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service