The first bit of fall inspiration often comes from a glimpse of pumpkins gathered at a farmers market or a roadside stand. It’s time to chill in oh-so-many ways. Temperatures cool off, and all things winter and cold don’t seem so distant anymore.
Decor experts all agree it’s time to warm up the house, and the way to do that is with color. When you’re searching for just the right hues, the pros say, let the deep jewel tones of the season offer inspiration.
“Add a burnt orange, which is warm and on trend and works if you have cool colors like green and blue,” says Brenda Meyers, founder of Rejuvanest (rejuvanest.com) in Denver. “Also consider plum, which is warm.”
When you’re looking for decor for pieces around the house, walk away from the silver pieces that look cool in the summer.
“To really make a trend bang, opt for gold rather than silver,” Meyers says, adding that earthy materials like glass, stone and wood really help make a home look cozy.
Julie Guggemos, vice president of product design and development at Target, points to some of the popular home decor choices at the store this season.
“The color palette is very autumnal and includes orange and oxblood, supported by ambers, teals and greens,” she says. “Rich green is a new color for us this season. We think it translates nicely in the salt glaze we’re using on some of our ceramic pieces.”
When making a few changes around the home, take tips from the trees showing their finest autumn colors, says Ralph Snyder, vice president of home design for Kohl’s.
“An easy way to update the home for fall is to incorporate rich autumnal colors, such as the deep reds and burgundies, vibrant oranges, golden yellows and velvety browns,” he says. “Use pieces that can be switched out seasonally, like a cozy throw blanket, a fall table centerpiece or a decorative rug.”
Don’t stop in the living room when adding a touch of warmth to the home, says Jackie Jordon, Sherwin-Williams director of color marketing. Your biggest impact could be as simple as painting an accent wall in a kitchen, bedroom or bathroom.
“Kitchens are a popular place to gather, and a bold color can create warmth and comfort in the space,” says Jordon. For accent walls, Jordon recommends colors from the line like Ceremonial Gold and Raucous Orange, listing names of paint as colorful and creative as your finished product will look after a quick coat.
“For a more relaxing, soothing space, such as a bedroom, I love Fleur De Sel or Malted Milk. These timeless, elegant colors will work for fall and for years to come.”
If you’re ready for a bold new look for autumn, try a feature or accent wall, popular with many DIY enthusiasts, Jordon says. Stencils, graphics, and faux finishing will also warm up the home, especially if you keep gold hues in mind.
Whether you’re considering touching up a room with a gallon of paint or you’re looking to warm up the decor with a decorative touch, we’ve collected a few of our favorite finds to help you ease the home into the cooler season.
• Threshold Decorative Pillow with Crane ($24.99, target.com). This colorful bird, no doubt on its way to warmer climates, wears all the warm tones of the autumn season.
• Artisan Accents Rope Pouf ($129.99, kohls.com). Let’s face it: Pumpkins look great for a couple of weeks on the front porch, but they start to rot before winter is upon us. This pumpkin-colored knit pouf, which we found on discount, will look classic for years to come.
• Threshold Green Ceramic Lamp Base ($49.99) with Threshold Gold Lamp Shade ($19.99, target.com). This deep green ceramic lamp with a salt glaze blends in with all the deep colors of the season.
• Jo Malone English Pear and Freesia Scented Candle ($65, Nordstrom.com). They say that the sense of smell brings back memories more quickly than any other. This candle brings back the scent of a fresh pear, picked on a cool autumn day.
• Threshold Set of 4 Bowls, ($18, target.com). Serving dishes and appetizer plates help round out this collection. Guggemos, Target’s home decor pro, adds that the collection adds “pop to any party.”
• Rapture Decorative Pillow ($32.99, kohls.com). Fresh fall colors and the blossom design on this pillow make it an easy touch for any room.
• Martha Stewart Rugs, Autumn Woods, Persimmon Red, ($1,400, jcpenney.com). This 8-by-10-foot rug is a free-flowing vine motif that screams “autumn.” Why not put your warm touch right at your feet?
• Fiesta Medium Vase ($62, kohls.com). We found this classic vase, perfect to hold a fall arrangement, at deep discount on our shopping trip. Scarlet and “flamingo” were two of the colors that we thought would look great with autumn hues.