Algae toxin in Lacey's Long Lake unsafe for swimmers and pets

OlympianSeptember 26, 2013 

An algae bloom detected in Long Lake, in Lacey, several weeks ago is producing enough toxins to cause officials to issue a warning from county health officials, according to a press release from the City of Lacey. 

The most recent sample detected microcystin algae toxin levels at 20 micrograms per liter of water. That's 14 micrograms above the state standard of six micrograms per liter for recreational water use.

According to the release, health officials are advising people to stay out of the water. Pets should also not be allowed in the water, and anglers are reminded that the safest practice in algae-prone waters is to catch and release.

According to the release, Director of the county's Environmental Health Division, Art Starry said, "We know that at this time of year there are only a few swimmers out there, but there are a few diehards, and many people allow their dogs to swim all year round." "Our advice to folks is to stay out of waters with thick algae scum and not take the chance of getting sick."

Warning signs will be posted at public access points around Long Lake, including the city of Lacey's Long Lake Park, where most of the recent water samples were taken. 

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service