September marks the return of children to school.
Technology is improving and creating new devices nearly every month. As parents, we know these devices are expensive personal property that we have often given to our children. As with any property worth money they could be lost or stolen while at school and are best protected while at home.
Talk with your children about how to better secure their personal electronic devices. Here are some tips to help out:
• Keep the device with you at all times
• Do not leave your property unattended and not locked up
• Apple offers laser engraving on products but you can also do it yourself. By engraving a device, it gives law enforcement an opportunity to return the device to you. It also makes it more difficult for thieves to sell your stolen item.
• If using a locker, double check the lock and ensure it’s locked before leaving it. Never share your locker combination with anyone, including friends.
• Do not leave devices or other valuables unattended in your vehicle. If your student has further questions, encourage them to talk to their School Resource Officer or their teacher.