Life sentence in grandparents’ killing

The Associated PressOctober 19, 2013 

A man who strangled and robbed his grandparents after they celebrated his release from prison was sentenced Friday to consecutive life sentences at a court hearing punctuated by his profanity-riddled outburst.

Life behind bars was the only possible sentence for Michael Chadd Boysen, 27, after he entered an Alford plea — an acknowledgement of sufficient evidence for a conviction, but not an explicit guilty plea — to aggravated murder charges Oct. 4 for the killings last March of Robert Taylor, 82, and Norma Taylor, 80, at the Renton home where they had thrown him a party.

After Boysen’s Alford plea, he and his attorneys signed a statement saying a life term without possibility of parole was the only possible sentence if the death penalty wasn’t sought by prosecutors, which ended up being the case.

Nevertheless, defense lawyers asked for a 40-year sentence because of Boysen’s history of mental illness and suicide attempts.

Boysen was found with self-inflicted cuts when he was arrested after a standoff at a Lincoln City, Ore., motel three days after the killings.

King County Superior Court Judge Douglass North said he saw no basis to deviate from the law, even if that was possible.

Boysen became angry and screamed profanities when family members spoke at Friday’s sentencing, KIRO reported.

He admitted he was a difficult prisoner, with 14 instances of self-harm and suicide attempts over seven months in jail.

Boysen said he loved his grandparents, who he said were like a second set of parents after his parents divorced when he was a teen.

“I have remorse. I am sorry whether my family chooses to believe it or not,” he said. But at another point he said, “An ‘I’m sorry’ at this point doesn’t really seem to cut it.”

Boysen had completed a burglary sentence when the Taylors picked him up at the Monroe Correctional Complex and held a welcome home party for him that Friday night.

The couple’s bodies were found that weekend by their daughter — Boysen’s mother.

They were in the closet of their guest bedroom partially dressed in their pajamas. Both had “severely dark-bruised ligature marks around their necks,” charging papers said.

A bloody shoelace remained partially wrapped around Norma Taylor’s neck.

Detectives found emptied envelopes that held $5,200. Credit cards belonging to the couple, her cellphone and their car were also gone.

Boysen went on a shopping spree, spending around $1,400 at Fred Meyer and Walmart to buy an iPad, a laptop, CDs, and a pre-paid cellphone, detectives said.

He was caught after the motel manager recognized him from television news reports. He had signed in using his real name.

Boysen was previously in prison from 2006 to 2011 for four robbery convictions related to an addiction to narcotic painkillers, the state Department of Corrections said.

Boysen’s mother, Melanie Taylor, said her parents always saw the good in Boysen and never felt threatened.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service