Felix Hernandez’s house catches fire

McClatchy news servicesNovember 5, 2013 

Fire crews from three departments quickly knocked down a Monday afternoon blaze that damaged a Bellevue house belonging to Seattle Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez.

“I have been in contact with Felix, and he and his family are safe,” Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly said by email.

The Bellevue Fire Department tweeted that the majority of the fire was quickly knocked down. There was no immediate information on the extent or cause of the fire.

Hernandez was in Napa, Calif., when the fire started about 4 p.m. Monday but was on his way back to Seattle because of the blaze, his agent Wil Polidor told The Seattle Times. The agent said no one was in the home at the time.

Firefighters from nearby Redmond and Mercer Island joined Bellevue crews to attack the blaze.

King County public records show a 5,100-square-foot, five-bedroom, four-bath house belonging to Felix and Sandra Hernandez. It was built in 2009 and is valued at $2.85 million.

MARINERS NEWS

The Mariners have conducted final interviews with four of the five finalists for manager and want an announcement no later than week’s end.

Onetime Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon flew home to Chicago after spending all day Sunday in his final interview. McClendon is the Tigers’ hitting coach. Other candidates are Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Athletics bench coach Chip Hale and onetime Mariners infielder and longtime major league coach Joey Cora.

In other news, the team, as expected, made a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer to slugger Kendrys Morales. Morales has seven days to accept or reject the offer. If he rejects it and signs elsewhere, the Mariners would secure a compensatory draft pick.

His agent, Scott Boras, suggested last week that Morales will likely turn the offer down and explore the free-agent market.

QUALIFYING OFFERS

The Yankees made $14.1 million qualifying offers to second baseman Robinson Cano, outfielder Curtis Granderson and right-hander Hiroki Kuroda. All three were in the last years of their contracts. Other players who received qualifying offers Monday include outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, first baseman Mike Napoli and shortstop Stephen Drew of the Red Sox; right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez of the Indians; Braves catcher Brian McCann; outfielder Shin-Soo Choo of the Reds; and outfielder Carlos Beltran of the Cardinals. If players refuse qualifying offers, their team receives a compensatory first-round draft pick.

SHORT HOPS

The Philadelphia Phillies declined to make qualifying offers Monday to free agents right-hander Roy Halladay and catcher Carlos Ruiz. The club also will decline the $20 million option on Halladay’s contract. He missed most of the 2013 season because of shoulder surgery. … Athletics owner Lew Wolff insists his team is staying put. For now, anyway. Wolff said Monday through the team that the A’s will extend their lease at the Oakland Coliseum and “look forward to another great season.” The team’s managing partner responded to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle saying Major League Baseball might get involved to help the A’s play in the Giants’ AT&T Park if no short-term lease was reached. … Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera has won his second straight player of the year award in voting by major leaguers. Retiring Yankees closer Mariano Rivera (AL) and Pirates starter Francisco Liriano (NL) were voted comeback players of the year.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service