A team of fire investigators has determined that a fire that killed a woman inside a Lacey home Saturday morning was not suspicious, likely started in a kitchen area and may have been caused by an electrical malfunction.
The early Saturday morning fire at a residence in the 1200 block of Marvin Road SE killed a woman believed to be in her 50s, Lacey Fire Battalion Chief Steve Crimmins said Monday.
Lacey fire crews, with assistance from Olympia and East Olympia fire units, responded to the blaze just after it was reported about 6 a.m. Saturday. Once on scene, fire crews found the home completely engulfed in flames. The fire was put out within 40 minutes of fire crews' arrival, Lacey Fire District 3 Chief Steve Brooks has said.
Three adults who were in the home were able to escape unharmed, but a woman, believed to be in her 50s, was asleep in a bedroom and did not make it outside, Crimmins said.
Crimmins added that the three individuals who were inside when the fire started tried to alert the woman to the fire. Crimmins said that the woman who died had preexisting medical issues that may have prevented her from getting out in time.
Chief Brooks said Saturday that the fire was heavily involved when crews arrived, and that's what made it difficult to rescue the woman inside.
The three people who escaped the fire were all adults, Brooks has said.
Thurston County Coroner Gary Warnock said Monday that his office will try and positively identify the deceased through dental records on Tuesday. The coroner's office was closed Monday due to the holiday.
Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5445 firstname.lastname@example.org