Fire damages historic home in Tenino

Staff writerNovember 16, 2013 

Fire damaged a historic home in Tenino early Saturday morning.

TENINO FIRE DISTRICT 12

Fire damaged a home built in 1897 in Tenino early Saturday morning, a fire that is thought to have originated near a wood stove.

According to Tenino Fire District 12 Battalion Chief James Fowler:

Fire crews responded to a report of a chimney fire about 6 a.m. Saturday, which was then upgraded to a structure fire after a second caller reported seeing flames.

Once fire crews arrived, they found an exterior wall of the home in the 100 block of Wichman St. S., was on fire. A family of five renting the home escaped unharmed after they were awakened by smoke alarms.

It took fire crews about an hour to knock down the fire, partly because of the size of the home -- 2,474 square feet -- and the various spaces inside the house that needed to be checked for fire.

Fowler said it appeared as though rooms, including laundry space and a pantry, had been added on to the house over the years.

 

 

 

 

Rolf Boone rboone@theolympian.com 360-754-5403

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service