TENINO: Fire crews knock out house fire; none harmed

rboone@theolympian.comNovember 18, 2013 

Fire believed to have originated near a wood stove damaged a home built in 1897 in Tenino early Saturday morning.

According to Tenino Fire District 12 Battalion Chief James Fowler:

Fire crews responded to a report of a chimney fire about 6 a.m. Saturday, and the call was upgraded to a structure fire after flames were reported.

Once fire crews arrived, they found an exterior wall of the home in the 100 block of Wichman Street South was on fire. A family of five were renting the home and escaped unharmed after they were awakened by smoke alarms.

It took fire crews about an hour to douse the fire, partly because of the size of the home – 2,474 square feet – and the various spaces inside the house that needed to be checked.

Fowler said it appeared as though some of the rooms, including a laundry space and a pantry, had been added on to the house over the years.

rboone@theolympian.com

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service