First-half lull too much for WSU to overcome

The Spokesman-ReviewNovember 25, 2013 

PULLMAN – It’s not easy for any basketball team to win when it goes a quarter of the game without scoring.

Washington State learned that lesson Sunday, losing to visiting Texas Christian University, 64-62.

The Cougars (2-2) jumped out to an early 6-2 lead with 16 minutes, 48 seconds remaining in the first half.

They wouldn’t score again until D.J. Shelton hit a pair of free throws after just more than 10 minutes had passed off the clock, putting the Cougars in an 18-6 hole.

Despite that early drought, the Cougars were able to make a game of it in the second half. Midway through the final period the Cougars went on a 12-4 run to cut TCU’s lead to 46-45 with 9:59 left in the game.

DaVonte Lacy, a graduate of Curtis High School, gave WSU a 45-44 lead on his second 3-pointer in 22 seconds.

The Horned Frogs promptly retook the lead on a Kyan Anderson jumper, and with 5.8 seconds left in the game, Anderson hit a pair of free throws to give TCU a two-point lead.

Lacy – who led the Cougars with 18 points – took the ball the length of the court and drove to the basket.

“In those situations in practice we always talk about going to the rack and trying to finish or getting a call, but just not settling for a jump shot,” Lacy said. “That’s what I tried to do.”

But Lacy’s off-balance shot missed as the Cougars were unable to overcome their first-half scoring dearth.

“We just didn’t make shots,” Cougars guard Royce Woolridge said. “We got a lot of wide-open shots that we normally knock down, but they just weren’t falling.”

The Horned Frogs (2-2) had no trouble making baskets in Beasley Coliseum. TCU shot 14-for-21 in the first half and held the Cougars to just 8-for-30 shooting.

Three 3-pointers from Dexter Kernich-Drew stopped the bleeding for WSU, which trailed at the break, 36-25.

Those makes from behind the arc weren’t the norm, however.

WSU was 13-for-34 on 3-pointers, yet continued to fire away from behind the arc in hopes of making something work against TCU’s 2-3 zone.

Unable to crack the zone, the Cougars were limited to just 10 points in the paint.

“We tried to get it in the paint but their zone was fairly tight. There’s give-and-take and you’ve got to take what they give,” WSU coach Ken Bone said. “When we did attack there were times that we weren’t getting what we wanted out of it, so we ended up settling for 3s.”

The Horned Frogs, conversely, had success with dribble penetration against WSU’s zone defense, scoring 34 points inside the key.

“They’re very good and determined to drive, and they’re pretty good at drawing the foul,” Bone said. “We knew that coming in.”

Amric Fields was one of three players who scored 16 points to lead TCU. The junior forward was not expected to play much in his first game back after missing the last year with a knee injury.

But Fields shot 7-for-9 and collected seven rebounds to contribute to TCU’s 34-24 advantage on the boards.

“It’s an area of concern because of our size and at times lack of quickness,” Bone said. “… We work on it every single day, we watch video, and it’s too late to go recruit more players so we take the guys that we have in the program and try to continue to educate them and motivate them to do a great job of rebounding. I think their effort’s there.”

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service