Boys basketball: Falcons outshine Dorsey, Blazers

todd.milles@thenewstribune.comDecember 14, 2013 

TACOMA — Armond Davis wanted to make amends.

He is the new guy at Foss High School, transferring over from Lincoln for his senior basketball season. He surely doesn’t want to give off a first impression of being a knucklehead.

What he certainly can do is blister the net with rhythmic outside shooting. His pair of 3-pointers sparked the decisive surge, lifting the Falcons to a 68-58 overtime victory over Timberline on Friday.

Davis, a 6-foot-5 guard, finished with a game-high 26 points — outdueling higher-profile Donaven Dorsey, the Blazers star and University of Washington signee. Dorsey had an off-night shooting (2-for-13 field goals, 13-for-24 free throws), but still ended up with 17 points.

“(Dorsey) is a great player, but I am not going to let him go into our gym and do whatever he wants,” Davis said. “He is going to have to play.”

Perhaps the turning point of the game — one Timberline controlled for the first half — did not come on a big shot or defensive play. It came 56 seconds into the second half when Blazers point guard Brandell Evans got tangled with Davis in the backcourt and came out of the pile limping.

He tried playing for one more Timberline possession, but left the game for good with a gimpy ankle — and the Blazers holding a 27-19 lead. He is set to have X-rays on Saturday, coach Allen Thomas said.

Foss coach Mike Cocke’ made an immediate adjustment, telling his team to switch out of its zone defense and pressure the backup ballhandlers — sophomore Jaden White and ninth-grader Tariq Romain.

“Evans is kind of the quarterback,” Cocke’ said. “When he went out ... we just said, ‘It is time to go at them.’ I don’t think they got all the shots they wanted in the second half.”

White hit a pair of 3-pointers, but both guards turned the ball over, allowing the Falcons to recover from an early deficit.

“Lob passes everywhere,” Thomas said. “It was on us. Foss did exactly what they were supposed to do. We were hurting them in the half court earlier in the game, and they picked up the pressure.”

Foss took its first lead, 46-44, on Olashawan Miller’s layup with 5:21 to go, setting up a back-and-forth ending to regulation.

Davis’ corner 3-pointer gave the Falcons a 55-49 lead with 1:30 remaining, but the Blazers closed on a 6-0 run, capped by two Dorsey free throws with 39.5 seconds to go.

Foss called two timeouts on its final possession of regulation to set up a clear-out play for Davis — except the guard lost track of time, and the Falcons turned it over on a shot-clock violation.

“I was looking at the game clock, not the shot clock,” Davis said. “I didn’t want to let them have another shot.”

Dorsey went the length of the court in 3.2 seconds, but his 10-footer to win it missed, and also came after the buzzer.

After that, the Blazers was 1-for-9 on field goals.

Todd Milles: 253-597-8442 @ManyHatsMilles

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service