Burglary suspect shot by Thurston homeowner appears in court

Staff writerJanuary 27, 2014 

Burglary suspect Zachary Sigby hobbled into Thurston County Superior Court Monday using a walker, just one week after a homeowner allegedly shot him in the thigh, shattering his femur, court papers state.

The homeowner shot Sigby on Jan. 20 only after trying to hold the suspect safely at gunpoint after interrupting Sigby's burglary attempt on the second-floor of his Puget Beach Road home, court papers state.

As the homeowner held Sigby at gunpoint, Sigby charged the homeowner, court papers state.

The homeowner "shoved him away and then fired a shot at the defendant's leg," court papers state. Even after being shot, Sigby, his jacket pockets stuffed with stolen jewelry and coins belonging to the homeowner's wife, tried to walk down the stairs.

"The defendant took a few steps to the stairs, and then fell down the stairs," court papers state. In court Monday, Sigby's attorney Eric Pilon said the fall from the stairs broke his client's arm.

During the alleged burglary, Sigby allegedly wore a ski mask to hide his face.

Sigby was at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for about five days after the homeowner shot him, and he was not taken into custody after his release from medical care.

Instead, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office worked out a plan to get him on electronic home monitoring and house arrest over the weekend. Court officials cited the high cost of providing Sigby with medical care while in custody at the jail as the reason for allowing him to be put on electronic home monitoring.

At the time of Sigby's arrest for the Jan. 20 burglary, he had pending felony charges of transfer of stolen property and second-degree theft. He has two other arrests for theft out of Lacey, where he resides on Golf Club Road, court papers state.

During Sigby's court appearance Monday, Thurston County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney James Powers signed off on the plan to allow Sigby to remain on house arrest with electronic home monitoring.

Sigby now has pending felony charges of transfer of stolen property and second-degree theft. He also has a pending fourth-degree assault charge out of district court.

Thurston County Superior Court Judge James Dixon cited those pending charges, along with Sigby's actions in allegedly committing the new burglary, as reasons why he was reluctant to allow Sigby to remain on electronic home monitoring and house arrest.

Dixon was about to allow Sigby to be released, on electronic home monitoring and house arrest, as requested by the prosecutor, when he learned that Sigby does not have a land telephone line.

A land telephone line is necessary for house arrest so that court officials can call a suspect to verify that he is in fact home while under house arrest, along with his or her global positioning satellite monitoring with an ankle bracelet.

At the conclusion of Monday's hearing, Dixon ordered Sigby to be taken into custody at the Thurston County Jail. He will be released to electronic home monitoring with an ankle bracelet after court officials verify that he has a land telephone line.

Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5445 jpawloski@theolympian.com

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service