State lottery should pay for school levies

OlympiaFebruary 7, 2014 

I have already voted — against the school levy. I will tell you why. Some years ago when the bureaucrats and educators(?) were beating the drum in support of the state lottery, we were told that 100 percent of the profit from the lottery would be devoted to schools. We were also led to believe that there would never, ever again be any special levy for education needs. Just like all politicians, they lied.

Approximately 10 percent of the lottery profit does go to educational purposes, the rest, 90 percent, is spent on any whimsical project the politicians can dream up.

Hey Tim Eyman, we need a referendum to repeal the lottery unless and until the profits are given to education as promised. Unless that comes to pass, I shall never vote for any special levy for schools.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service