Fire damages home in Olympia

Staff writerMarch 9, 2014 

An Olympia house in the 1000 block of Miller Ave. N.E. was damaged by fire Sunday morning after a blanket, thought to have been too close to a gas fireplace, caught fire.

According to the Olympia Fire Department:

About 10:23 a.m. Sunday, fire crews were dispatched to the home after the resident of the house called 9-1-1. Before that, though, the resident had tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful.

Fire crews knocked down the fire at 10:33 a.m. The resident was not injured.

Fire crews were able to stop the fire in the living room, but smoke traveled throughout the house, causing estimated damages of $40,000, according to a news release.

Olympia Fire responded to the fire with four engines, one ladder truck, two medic units and a command unit.

 

 

 

Rolf Boone rboone@theolympian.com 360-754-5403

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service