Propane tank explosion east of Lacey hospitalizes couple Monday night

Staff writerMarch 18, 2014 

A propane tank explosion inside an RV on Reservation Road east of Lacey Monday night sent a couple who lived there to an area hospital with burns.

The woman suffered second- and third-degree burns in the explosion, Lacey Fire Department Battalion Chief Tim Hulse said. The man suffered minor burns, he said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene of the explosion about 11 p.m. Monday, Hulse said. The preliminary investigation indicated that there was either an open propane line or a leak in the tank that caused it to explode when someone tried to light a cigarette, he said.

Hulse said the explosion underscores the need for RV owners to use propane detectors to ensure that they are aware when there is a propane leak.

"They were very lucky their burns weren't worse," Hulse added.

 

 

Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5445; jpawloski@theolympian.com

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service