Just three days after a deadly mudslide killed at least 25 people in Snohomish County, the Mudslide Relief Campaign for state employees has collected $34,400 for survivors and rescue workers, officials said Thursday.
“The support of our fellow citizens has been overwhelming and I know from speaking with the charities currently working on the ground that they appreciate every bit of it,” Philip Kerrigan, program manager for the state Combined Fund Drive, said in an email. The drive launched the special relief portal Tuesday in response to Saturday’s deadly slide that claimed 25 lives and left potentially 90 more people missing in east Snohomish County.
More than 350 donors have given about $22,000 in cash using credit cards and others have pledged money through future payroll deductions, according to the donation program. Kerrigan said the vast majority of donors are state employees, although some members of the public have also used the site to make donations.
The donations spiked after a CNN report mentioned the site Wednesday night, Kerrigan said.
As was reported Tuesday, the site drew about $7,000 in contributions and pledges its first day.
Combined Fund Drive is adding two more charities to its beneficiary list on the site - the United Way of Snohomish County and a local chaplaincy for fire fighters, Kerrigan said. Organizations that previously asked to be considered for help through the relief campaign included the American Red Cross, Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue Unit, and the state Department of Transportation Memorial Foundation, which assists agency employees and families.