Olympia and Central Kitsap tangle in Narrows boys soccer

Controlling possession turns out fruitless for Olympia in a 0-0 draw with Central Kitsap

Contributing writerApril 25, 2014 

OLYMPIA — The Olympia Bears have yielded one goal in their past six games. They didn’t give up a goal Thursday night at Ingersoll Stadium, but neither did they score one.

Olympia dominated possession of the ball in both halves, but couldn’t cash in its scoring opportunities in a 0-0 draw against Central Kitsap in 4A Narrows League boys soccer.

“In this league, you might have potentially three or four (opportunities) a game,” Olympia coach Ty Johnson said. “You’ve got to put away the chances that you make for yourself.”

The Bears appeared to have broken through at 9:20 of the second half when Chris Sutton slipped a centering pass to a streaking Ian Hesse, who banged it into the net. An official’s offside call wiped away the goal.

“We had opportunities to finish,” Johnson said. “We did finish one. Somebody saw it differently.”

Central Kitsap had the last best chance to score just before officials whistled the game to an end. Senior forward Jacob Dahllof was squared up right in front of the goal, but Bears goalkeeper Brandon Pruett made the save, the second of two outstanding stops in the second half.

With the tie, Olympia stands at 6-2-2 overall, 4-2-2 in the Narrows. Next week the Bears have home games against the teams that represent the two losses in their record: South Kitsap visits Monday, and league-leading Gig Harbor comes in


Central Kitsap stands at 4-2-4 overall, 2-1-4 in Narrows.

“This league is good — every game is tough,” Johnson said.

The teams battled through a fruitless first half. Central Kitsap did not get off a legitimate shot on goal in the first 40 minutes, but neither did they give much ground to the Bears.

Olympia had the only two scoring chances in the first half. Junior forward Matt Linhart pushed it wide at 31:20, and at 12:50 sophomore forward Ian Hesse was alone in front of the goal but had it deflected away.

Johnson said his team might have come out flat in the first half in its first game of the week after three games last week.

“We possessed the ball well,” he said, “but we didn’t create any dangerous opportunities.”

In the second half, the Bears showed better energy and kept the pressure on the Cougars. Senior midfielder Jamison Corbin had two decent looks at the goal, booming one wide right at 29:05, with Cougar goalkeeper Lewis Watson swallowing the second from 30 yards out at 25:30.

At 20:00, Hesse took a lead pass from junior Chris Sutton, but Cougar defender Patrick Moore got a foot in to thwart the shot.

Less than a minute later, Pruett made a strong save on a one-on-one try by Cougar sophomore Isaiah Roland.

Cougar keeper Watson made a good save on a try by Hesse at 12:00.

The Olympian is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service