Miami, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick will not face charges stemming from an incident at a Miami hotel in April.
The Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office, in a memo released Thursday, said there was insufficient evidence against Kaepernick and two other NFL players -- Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette and 49ers receiver Quinton Patton.
On April 3, a woman told Miami police she may have been sexually assaulted two days earlier at the Viceroy Hotel.
In the initial statement, the woman said she mixed drinks for the three players and smoked marijuana. After feeling lightheaded, she went to a bedroom to lie down and Kaepernick followed her.
The woman, who told police she had a sexual relationship with Kaepernick in the past, said she and Kaepernick kissed that night, but didn't have sex. She said she was naked in bed when Lockette and Patton opened the door and "peeked" inside and she yelled at them to leave. After the two players closed the door, she didn't remember anything afterward and didn't remember how she got to the hospital.
According to Thursday's memo released by the DA's office, a rape exam conducted revealed no type of sexual assault. Witnesses interviewed, including doctors at the hospital on the night in question, said the woman was "severely agitated" and appeared to have an "altered mental status" while also being "uncooperative."
The case analysis at the conclusion of the memo states the woman was "unable to provide any testimony to prove that she was sexually assaulted or the victim of any other offense."
Kaepernick had maintained his innocence in the case from the start and said via Twitter at the time that the accounts being reported were "completely wrong."
Just last week, the 49ers signed Kaepernick to a six-year contract extension worth a reported $126 million.