Donnie Wahlberg is ready to hit the road with the New Kids on the Block. That is what he said in an interview April 12 with Kayla Harrity of Dirty Water TV.
“We’re getting ready to go on tour,” said Wahlberg of the NKOTB crew. “May 1 we start (in Las Vegas). ... We’re going to be all over the place.
“We have a lot of rehearsal to do,” he said.
“The Main Event” tour of 30 cities includes Wednesday’s stop at the Tacoma Dome. A man band now, not a boy band, the group is bringing an all-star throwback cast. The oldest member of the group — Jonathan Knight — turned 46 in November. NKOTB have sold more than 80 million albums worldwide since forming in 1984 with brothers Jordan and Jonathan Knight, Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg and Danny Wood.
Never miss a local story.
A highlight of the show is a 360-degree “in the round” stage with no obstructions.
Kicking off the show will R&B girl group TLC and rapper Nelly.
“We always have something special up our sleeves,” Wahlberg said when announcing the tour in January. “Our fans keep asking us to come back out on the road, and we want to keep giving them what they want! We wanted to make sure it was something new and fresh and fun and totally worthwhile for all of our supporters, year after year.”
Known for late 1980s-early 1990s pop hits such as “Hangin’ Tough” and “You Got It (The Right Stuff),” the teen idols disbanded in 1994. In 2008, they announced a reunion, followed by a series of tours that included a co-headlining stint with the Backstreet Boys and a series of “concert cruises.”
Prepping for this tour, promoted by Live Nation, meant Wahlberg had to miss last month’s Boston Marathon.
“I was ready to run this year,” Wahlberg said of his asperations to run in his hometown marathon. “I’ve been training for the marathon, but now I have to rehearse for the tour, so I can’t run.
“I would have probably come in third place in the after-midnight division,” he added with a smile.