Where to get ‘em Luscious local strawberries are just a short drive – and perhaps a few days – away.
Here’s a partial list of farm stands and places to pick fresh, local strawberries in the South Sound. Farmers urge you to call first or look at the farm’s website or Facebook page to see if the season is under way.
If you have a strawberry farm or stand in the South Sound and wish to be included in our online list of places to pick and buy strawberries, e-mail debby. email@example.com. The online list is at www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/food.
• Duris Cucumber Farm. U-pick and fresh strawberry sales at the farm, 6012 44th St. E., Puyallup, and at fruit stand and fields at Washington Avenue and Frager Road in Kent. Info.: 253-922-7635 or duriscucumberfarm.com.
• Johnson Berry Farm: Farm stand at 2908 Wiggins Road S.E., Olympia. Info.: 360-493-2350 or www.johnsonberryfarm.com.. (Check the website for recipes for berry desserts and main dishes.)
• Picha’s Berry Farm: U-pick and fresh strawberry sales at the farm, 6502 52nd St. E., Puyallup; fresh strawberry sales at Otto “Bill” and Carole Nuss fruit stand at 74th and Tyler streets in South Tacoma. Info.: 253-841-4443, www.pichafarms.com., www.facebook.com/pichafarms or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Pigman Organic Produce Patch. U-pick and fresh strawberry sales at the farm, 10633 Steilacoom Road S.E., in the Nisqually Valley. Info.: 360-491-3276 or e-mail to email@example.com.
• Scholz Farm: Fruit stand at farm, 12920 State Route 162, Orting. Info.: 253-848-7604 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Schilter Family Farm: Farm market on Martin Way and Nisqually Cutoff Road near Lacey, exit 114 from Interstate 5. Info.: 360-459-4023 or www.schilterfamilyfarm.com.
• Sidhu Farm: Fruit stand at 9809 State Route Highway 162, Puyallup; U-pick at same address in late June. Info.: 253-377-7845 or www.sidhufarms.org
• Spooner Farms, owned by Jeff and Andrea Spooner in Puyallup: Gift shop and berry stand at farm, 9622 State Route 162 E., Puyallup; farm stand at 2506 E. Main St., Puyallup; farm stand at 188th Street and Calistoga Avenue in Orting. Info.: 253-840-2059
• Spooner Berry Farms, owned by Tim and Sue Spooner in Olympia: U-pick and fresh strawberry sales at the farm, 3327 Yelm Highway, Olympia. Fresh strawberry sales available at eight other locations, including Tumwater farm stand in the parking lot of Southgate Ace Hardware, 5203 Capital Blvd.; Aberdeen farm stand across from McDonald’s at 1110 E. Wishkah St.; Shelton farm stand next to Viking Floors at 1826 Olympic Highway N.; Centralia farm stand in Bill & Bea’s Diner parking lot at 1215 Harrison; West Olympia farm stand at 2010 Harrison Ave. N.W.; North Seattle farm stand next to Wedgewood Post Office at 7726 35th Ave. N.E.; Yelm farm stand on e block east of Safeway. Info.: 360-456-4554 and www.spoonerberryfarms.com.
• Terry’s Berries. Farm store at 4520 River Road, Tacoma. Info.: 253-922-1604 and www.terrysberries.com.
• Farmers markets: Auburn on Sundays; Browns Point on Thursdays; Federal Way on Saturdays; Gig Harbor-Kimball Drive on Saturdays; Gig Harbor- Downtown on Wednesdays; Gig Harbor-Key Peninsula on Sundays; Olympia on Thursdays through Sundays; Puyallup on Saturdays and Sundays; Rochester/Grand Mound on Saturdays starting June 19; Steilacoom on Wednesdays; Tacoma-Broadway on Thursdays; Tacoma-Sixth Avenue on Tuesdays; Tacoma-South Tacoma on Sundays starting June 20; Tacoma-Proctor on Saturdays; Tenino on Saturdays; Tumwater on Wednesdays; Vashon Island on Saturdays and starting in July on Wednesdays. For hours and addresses, go to www.thenewstribune.com/soundlife/food
• More farms, farmers markets, U-picks, directions and detailed descriptions at www.pugetsoundfresh.org.