One of the jurors who overturned Amanda Knox’s murder conviction said Friday he was never convinced by the “conjecture” of the prosecution’s case and that he believed the U.S. student and her co-defendant simply didn’t kill her British roommate.
Mauro Chialli was one of eight jurors who on Monday ordered Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito freed after acquitting them of charges they sexually assaulted and murdered Meredith Kercher in 2007. Knox returned home to Seattle on Tuesday, and Sollecito to his home in southern Italy.
In an interview Friday with Italy’s state-run RAI television, Chialli said he had spent a lot of time during the 10-month appeals trial reading the faces of Knox and Sollecito and determined they were telling the truth in insisting on their innocence.
“I saw the faces of these two kids, and they couldn’t bluff. They didn’t bluff. My point of view is that these kids weren’t guilty. They weren’t there,” he said.
Knox and Sollecito were arrested a few days after Kercher’s body was discovered in a pool of blood on Nov. 2, 2007 in the apartment she shared with Knox in Perugia. They were convicted in 2009 and sentenced to 26 and 25 years respectively. A third defendant, Rudy Hermann Guede was also convicted and had his 16-year prison sentence upheld by Italy’s highest court.
Following Monday’s acquittals, Guede remains the only one in prison for the death. His lawyer has said he wants the case reopened, given that Italy’s high court determined Guede didn’t act alone.
Chialli said there were several elements of the prosecution’s case that didn’t convince him, primarily the lack of a motive and uncertainties about the precise time of Kercher’s death.
“What didn’t convince me was that in the end, it was an accusation based on so many conjectures,” he said. “It could have been this way, it could have been another way.”
Knox and Sollecito maintain they were at Sollecito’s apartment the night of the killing, smoking hashish, watching a film and having sex.
Earlier in the week, the Italian judge who presided over the appeal, Judge Claudio Pratillo Hellmann, said the two were cleared of murder based on the evidence but that the real truth could be different.
NEW YORK — The courtship of Amanda Knox’s family by American television networks eager to win an exclusive interview with her extended to providing temporary accommodations for two of her younger sisters.
Knox’s father, Curt Knox, said Friday that an ABC producer let his daughters Ashley, 16, and Delaney, 13, stay in her room while court was in session. He said a CBS producer did, too, and an NBC producer offered to.
Amanda Knox, 24, returned to the United States on Tuesday after an Italian court overturned her murder conviction in the death of her roommate. The former exchange student from Seattle had been in custody since 2007.
Networks are competing for an interview with her, even before it’s clear if she’ll even tell her story in that venue. There has been increased attention lately on how networks get these interviews, with ABC declaring this summer it would no longer pay interview subjects to license photos or videos, seen as a dodge of the common journalistic practice of not paying people to tell their stories.
Producers might be able to help the Knoxes find care for their teenage daughters, but offering something with a specific monetary value – their hotel rooms – isn’t a good idea, said Kelly McBride, senior faculty member for ethics at the Poynter Institute, a journalism think tank.
Even without a specific expectation of something in return, “it is unfair to the source because they are in a position of vulnerability,” McBride said.
Curt Knox said that although ABC producer Nikki Battiste permitted his children to use her room, she was doing her job and did not baby-sit the teenagers. He said Battiste wasn’t in the room with them.
ABC News spokeswoman Jeffrey Schneider said the network didn’t have a problem with Battiste’s actions.
Knox said that CBS producer Sabina Castelfranco also permitted the children to use her room. But CBS spokeswoman Sonya McNair denied this, saying Castelfranco turned down the request when asked and checked out of the small hotel. McNair said it was unclear whether the room was made available to the children after Castelfranco checked out.
Knox said NBC producer Stephanie Siegel offered her room, but it wasn’t used. NBC spokeswoman Lauren Kapp denied that such an offer was made.
Battiste and Siegel also accompanied Knox’s wife and the two girls on a shopping trip near the Italian courtroom but didn’t buy anything for the family, he said.
It’s unclear whether any efforts by networks to ingratiate themselves with Knox will make any difference.
“The kind gesture to allow my younger daughters, who couldn’t get into the courtroom due to age, will not have any influence as to which network, if any, that Amanda may choose to go with in the future,” Curt Knox said.