Olympia firefighters responded to a house fire at about 11 p.m. Wednesday in the 300 block of West Bay Drive Northwest in Olympia.
The fire was reported by one resident who was awake and noticed a problem around the fireplace. When he investigated, he found fire just beginning to show on the ceiling. His family was asleep at the other end of the house, so he woke them and got them out of the house, then called 911.
Firefighters found fire in the attic that was spreading to the rest of the house, and exposed it from below by removing parts of the ceiling and from above by opening the roof. The fire in the attic was extinguished by 11:14 p.m. before it could reach the rest of the house, but the attic above the living room was heavily damaged.
Four engines, one ladder truck, two medic units and a command unit responded. One firefighter sustained a shoulder injury, but all of the home’s residents were safely evacuated.
Never miss a local story.
Smoke alarms were present in the house and working normally.
The structure was estimated to be worth about $400,000. Fire damage was limited to about $150,000, according to the Olympia Fire Department.