An duplex off Capitol Way near Lincoln Elementary School in Olympia was damaged by fire Halloween evening, the Olympia Fire Department reported.
Firefighters responded to a possible electrical problem or fire about 8:30 p.m. Monday in the 100 block of 23rd Avenue SE.
Residents from one side of the duplex called 911 and were outside when fire crews arrived. More crews were called when fire was discovered in the wall between units on the basement and first floor. The fire did not spread to the second floor’s common wall or into the units, but walls and ceilings had to be opened to find the fire and assure firefighters it hadn’t spread, according to the fire department.
Residents from the other side of the duplex were trick-or-treating in the neighborhood, but returned home when they saw the fire trucks.
Never miss a local story.
There were no injuries to firefighters or residents.
Firefighters helped the residents recover their belongings from the building, and both families were able to stay with relatives.
It does not appear smoke alarms were present. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. Crews remained at the scene overnight and will continue to investigate.
The structure was estimated to be worth about $250,000, and damage was about $125,000, according to the fire department.