The Army Corps of Engineers and the Chehalis-Centralia Airport will begin a $490,000 repair project on the airport levee Monday.
The project involves rebuilding some 5,320 feet of the levee, which surrounds the airport and Twin City Town Center and provides limited flood protection for a number of commercial buildings, homes and Interstate 5.
The repairs are being made following damage inflicted by the January 2009 floods when the Chehalis River rose against the levee, but never topped it.
“High flows resulted in extensive sloughing, cracking and boils on the landward side of the levee in three different locations,” said Lester Soule, Seattle District levee rehabilitation project manager.
Never miss a local story.
Repairs of the levee will re-establish 50-year flood protection, according to the Army Corps. The work is expected to be completed in late July or early August, according to a release from the Army Corps.
The Army Corps and Chehalis-Centralia Airport are partnering to fund the project on the non-federal levee. The Army Corps pays 80 percent of the costs and the airport will cover the remaining 20 percent.
According to the release, there will be increased truck traffic around the levee as the repairs are made.