A 69-year-old man has died in a fire in his Spokane Valley apartment.
The Spokane County medical examiner’s office identified the victim in the fire early Wednesday as Arthur L. Farmer. Spokane Valley Fire Department spokesman Bill Clifford said the man likely died of smoke inhalation. He was in bed when flames engulfed a recliner chair about five feet away.
Clifford said fire officials believe the blaze started from a cigarette left on the recliner but will consider whether an air purifier may have malfunctioned.
Officials said Farmer used an oxygen tank.
Never miss a local story.
The spokesman said neighbors tried unsuccessfully to rescue the man.