A 4-year-old boy is credited with alerting his family members to a fire at their Salkum-area home.
Not long after Byron Wilson screamed “fire,” an alarm went off, and nine people fled from the home at 128 Harms Road.
Byron’s grandmother, Sheila Mullins, said she and her husband, Kurt, were in bed when the fire began about 9 p.m.
Jessica Mullins, Bryon’s mother, said her son’s room was a converted space in the attic, and that’s where he saw small flames.
Never miss a local story.
“I saw the fire in my crawl space,” the boy said to his mother as she spoke to a reporter.
About 35 firefighters responded to the blaze, which wasn’t extinguished until about 3 a.m. Sunday. Districts 1, 2, 3 and 8 responded; the last unit left the scene at 6 a.m.
The cause of the fire has not been determined.
Assistant Fire Chief Don Taylor of District 8 in Salkum said the fire could have been caused by a creosote-clogged chimney.
He said crews got a good look at the chimney after they knocked it down with a water cannon while battling the blaze. They found a large amount of creosote.
“We got a chunk of the chimney after the fact, and it was 75 to 80 percent clogged,” Taylor said.