Joint Base Lewis-McChord said Sunday that all furloughed Department of Defense civilian employees who work at the base will be back on the job Monday.
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Saturday he was able to bring most of the department's civilians back to work, as long as they "contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members."
He was able to do so through an interpretation of a bill Congress passed last week to ensure service members are paid on time through the shutdown.
I Corps said via twitter that the Lewis-McChord Commissary will open Monday.
Never miss a local story.
Lewis-McChord has about 16,000 civilian employees and contractors. About 8,000 of them were affected by furloughs with half going to work last week and half staying home.