The Olympia Fire Department responded to a call about a smoke-filled house Friday morning on the city’s westside.
The call came at 4:58 a.m. Friday in the 1600 block of Giles Avenue Northwest. Firefighters determined that burlap bags had been in contact with a wall heater, and had smoldered long enough to melt the carpet underneath, according to the department.
Firefighters extinguished the smoldering items. No injuries were reported.
The fire department reports that had the smoke not awakened the residents in the home, a tragedy would have been likely because the home contained no working smoke detectors. Deputy Fire Chief Greg Wright told The Olympian that the lack of working smoke detectors is common.
Never miss a local story.
“We check them whenever we have a fire, and quite often we find they’re not operable,” he said.
The department recommends that every home install at least one working smoke detector near the sleeping areas, and to keep the areas in front of wall heaters clear of combustibles.