A dog was injured during an early morning fire on Tuesday in the 2600 block of 41st Lane NW, Olympia.
The blaze, reported at 4:15 a.m., was discovered simultaneously by a newspaper delivery person and the home’s occupants, who were alerted by their dogs, according to Davie Kindell, an information officer with McLane Black Lake Fire Department.
The home’s occupants and one of their dogs made out of the home safely. But one of the pooches, a dachshund, had to be rescued from the home by firefighters.
“The firefighters gave him oxygen at the scene,” Kindell said. As of Thursday afternoon, the dog was in good condition, she said.
Never miss a local story.
The home sustained about $250,000 damage. Crews determined the cause was a discarded cigarette that was fueled by propane leaking from a patio heater, Kindell said.
Olympia Fire Department, West Thurston Fire Authority and Griffin Fire Department also responded to the fire, and assisted in the suppression efforts.