A Lacey couple wants to know how a tiny screw ended up in their baby’s cup of Lactaid.
Jessie Henderson said the screw was discovered Tuesday night, shortly after his 22-month-old son’s sippy cup was filled with the lactose-free milk. X-rays revealed no metal objects in the boy’s body, but doctors told Henderson and Amanda Ehart to keep an eye on their son’s diapers for three days to see if any foreign objects show up, he said.
So far, little Xander is fine and injury-free, according to his parents.
Henderson said he has no plan to take legal action and is not looking to make money from this incident. However, the couple wants to alert the public to a potential health hazard.
Never miss a local story.
“What if that had been a bigger screw and my son had gotten a hold of it and swallowed it?” said Henderson, describing the rattling sound of the dull miniature screw in the bottom of the cup. “We want the rest of the public to know about this.”
A receipt provided by Henderson shows the carton of Lactaid was among four that had been purchased May 19 at Walmart on Galaxy Drive in Hawks Prairie. This week, Henderson shipped the carton and screw to Lactaid’s parent company, HP Hood LLC, at its request. HP Hood spokesperson Lynne Bohan said the company has checked its retained supply of Lactaid samples but found no foreign objects. The company expects to receive the suspected milk container and screw Friday for further examination at its plant in Sacramento, California.
Bohan said no order has been given to remove Lactaid products from store shelves.
“Product quality and safety is very important,” she said. “We haven’t had any other similar complaints, but as with all consumer complaints, we take this seriously and will conduct a comprehensive review of the situation.”
Walmart spokesperson Erin Hofmann emailed a statement to The Olympian regarding the Lacey couple’s claim.
“At Walmart, we are committed to providing our customers with safe, quality foods,” Hofmann said. “As soon as we were notified about the claim, we immediately began looking into the issue with the supplier and are still conducting our investigation.”