A 20-year-old woman died in a Shelton house fire Monday evening.
Mason County Coroner Wes Stockwell identified the woman as Kathleen E. Lowther, who was a resident of the home. He said that Lowther died from asphyxia from inhaling toxic material when it burned.
At about 7 p.m. Monday, Central Mason Fire and EMS responded to a two-story residential structure fire that had extended into the second floor, according to a news release. The home was of older construction, complicating the fire response.
Two people escaped the fire. They were treated and released from Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia.
Never miss a local story.
The fire was caused by unattended food on the kitchen stove.