A story about parenting and disrespectful children touched a nerve with readers, making it our No. 1 story.
1. Why kids today are out of shape, disrespectful and in charge: Dr. Leonard Sax, who lives in Exton, Pennsylvania, argues that American families are facing a crisis of authority, where the kids are in charge, out of shape emotionally and physically, and suffering because of it. He calls for a reordering of family life in response.
2. Senate panel passes reversal of transgender bathroom rule: A bill that would eliminate Washington's new rule allowing transgender people to use bathrooms and locker rooms in public buildings consistent with their gender identity passed out of a Senate committee 4-3 Wednesday.
3. Olympia parents protest Capital High School’s stance against student and his game: Upset by the way school administrators recently handled an issue involving a popular Nerf game, a group of parents organized a protest in front of Capital High School on Olympia’s west side Friday morning.
Never miss a local story.
4. Olympia area roofing business faces another six-figure fine: The Roof Doctor has been fined $427,000 by the state — the second six-figure fine for the business since 2014, according to the Department of Labor & Industries.
5. Lawsuit cites hazing of Capital High School student: An attorney for a former Capital High School student filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Tacoma, alleging that the Olympia School District should have done more to protect the student from a hazing ritual known as “BNDing.”