Amid the shooting and hostage-taking, a story about local politics was well read last week.
1. Police shoot, kill homicide suspect on Interstate 5 in Lakewood: A high-speed chase on Interstate 5 early Saturday morning ended with 12 police officers opening fire on a homicide suspect near Tillicum, a Lakewood police spokesman said.
2. Breaking: Deputies at scene of hostage situation in Grand Mound: Sheriff John Snaza told The Olympian a man was holding his girlfriend and daughter hostage in a home near the intersection of Iris Place Southwest and 180th Way Southwest.
3. Lacey teacher who tackled shooter cancels campaign for statehouse: Brady Olson told The Olympian that the tipping point was Saturday, during a Champagne brunch fundraiser hosted by Thurston County Democrats. He said the candidates lined up to introduce themselves, but he was told he wasn’t allowed to address the crowd.
4. Restaurant inspections for Feb. 17: “Ice machine dirty with mold growth.”
5. Update: Suspect in custody after hostage situation in Grand Mound: The Thurston County Sheriff’s office reports that the standoff ended peacefully, with the suspect in custody.