Amid the shooting and hostage-taking, a story about local politics was well read last week.
1. Police shoot, kill homicide suspect on Interstate 5 in Lakewood: A high-speed chase on Interstate 5 early Saturday morning ended with 12 police officers opening fire on a homicide suspect near Tillicum, a Lakewood police spokesman said.
2. Breaking: Deputies at scene of hostage situation in Grand Mound: Sheriff John Snaza told The Olympian a man was holding his girlfriend and daughter hostage in a home near the intersection of Iris Place Southwest and 180th Way Southwest.
3. Lacey teacher who tackled shooter cancels campaign for statehouse: Brady Olson told The Olympian that the tipping point was Saturday, during a Champagne brunch fundraiser hosted by Thurston County Democrats. He said the candidates lined up to introduce themselves, but he was told he wasn’t allowed to address the crowd.
Never miss a local story.
4. Restaurant inspections for Feb. 17: “Ice machine dirty with mold growth.”
5. Update: Suspect in custody after hostage situation in Grand Mound: The Thurston County Sheriff’s office reports that the standoff ended peacefully, with the suspect in custody.