Small dogs and cats will be allowed on Amtrak Cascades trains beginning March 7.
“We recognize pets are family members and passengers want to bring them along,” WSDOT Rail Director Ron Pate said in a news release. “We’re excited to offer this option.”
Previously, only service animals were allowed on Amtrak Cascades trains.
Dogs and cats must meet the following requirements:
Never miss a local story.
▪ The maximum weight including the carrier is limited to 20 pounds
▪ Owners can reserve a space for their pet for a $25 fee; limit one pet per passenger
▪ For the safety and comfort of all passengers, pets must remain in a carrier at all times and carriers must remain on the floor in front of the seat next to the passenger
▪ The maximum carrier size is 19 inches long, 14 inches wide, and 10.5 inches high
▪ Five pet spots are allowed per train and are allotted on a first-come, first-served basis
Pet reservations will be accepted for travel beginning March 7 and can only be made with a reservation agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station. Pets are not allowed on trips to Canada and cannot be booked on trips lasting longer than 7 hours.
Traveling pets must be odorless and harmless, not disruptive, and require no attention during travel. Onboard personnel maintain the right to refuse acceptance of or remove from the train any pet exhibiting these issues.
Onboard crews will work to accommodate any travelers with allergies or other pet concerns.