Six South Sound students have been named as semifinalists in the 2017 National Merit Scholarship Program.
Fewer than 1 percent of seniors in the United States qualified for the honor with their high scores on the 2015 PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.
Next, they’ll compete for one of about 7,500 scholarships awarded by the nonprofit organization next spring.
The semifinalists are:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Samuel Yi of Avanti High School.
▪ Shelvey Swett of Capital High School.
▪ Warren Gu of Olympia High School.
▪ Spencer Johnson of Olympia High School.
▪ McKenzie Murray of Olympia High School.
▪ Kyu-Hun Lee of Black Hills High School in Tumwater.
For more information on the scholarship program, go to nationalmerit.org.