No fire was found after an alarm was activated at Yelm High School at about 11:45 a.m. Thursday, according to Yelm Community Schools spokeswoman Teri Pablo.
“We moved the kids into the gym until the location had been cleared,” she said. “Everything was fine, there was no fire.”
Since it was raining, students stayed in the gym and portable buildings for about 30 minutes, she said. Crews from Southeast Thurston Fire Authority responded to the scene.
“There was some kind of haze or smoke they had identified, but it dissipated fairly quickly so they don’t know where it came from,” Pablo said.
Never miss a local story.
Later, at about 3 p.m., the district posted on its Facebook page: “After further investigation, the alarm was set by smoke from an e-cigarette.”