I am concerned that Olympia Councilor Jim Cooper is not qualified to be Thurston County Commissioner. I mean this with respect. Here are the facts:
▪ Cooper has no college degree. The only cure for not having a college degree is demonstrated excellence.
▪ Cooper has not demonstrated excellence in either the public or private sector. The evidence of this is his performance at both Together and the United Way. At Together Cooper had to quit before he was fired. At the United Way Cooper works from home. In the private sector, Cooper was on the board of OlyCentro. OlyCentro was recently fined by the state for what amounted to deceiving the shareholders.
▪ Cooper is establishment to the core. Cooper is the son of a former mayor and legislator. This appears to be his only qualification for public office and his positions at the head of non-profit organizations around Olympia. How else does a man with a high school diploma get a job like that?
▪ Cooper will say what he thinks you want to hear. Cooper talks about raising a local income tax in Olympia while flying a Tea Party flag in the South County. When asked in Tenino, Jim said he was “playing to the audience.”
▪ Cooper supports illegal income taxes, and is responsible for the Opportunity for Olympia lawsuit.
We want candidates with integrity. Not illegal taxes. Not lawsuits against the county. Not Jim Cooper.