When Gov. Gregoire approved the Seattle tunnel, I wrote a letter to the Aberdeen Daily World in March 2013. In this letter, I predicted disaster based upon the Boston tunnel (Big Dig), our own Hood Canal bridge, and the history of Seattle. I take no pleasure in the accuracy of my seven predictions:
1. Seattle tunnel cost overruns will greatly exceed the amount of dollars approved. Accurate!
2. Seattle tunnel will have major delays. Accurate!
3. Seattle tunnel will leak. Uncertain. The tunnel is not yet complete.
Never miss a local story.
4. Seattle tunnel digging will find Indian artifacts causing lengthy delays. Probable. (See Hood Canal Bridge repair a few years ago).
5. Seattle tunnel engineers will discover unstable soil on the waterfront, which is part of the Denny Re-grade. Accurate! We now have sink holes with more likely to follow.
6. Seattle tunnel will be cancelled by Gov. Inslee. Probable. The tunnel is on hold.
7. Seattle tunnel will take so much transportation tax money that rural counties will find their own roads and bridges are delayed or cancelled due to lack of transportation funds. Accurate.
Our taxes were wasted and a new Alaskan Way viaduct will require even more taxes. This debacle will use up gas tax dollars while Mason, Lewis, and Grays Harbor counties continue as donor counties with no redress to our transportation needs.
This political decision was foisted on us by Gregoire and continued by Inslee. This disaster will be their legacy!