Today: 7:30 p.m., “National Parks: Northwest Stories.” The 30-minute show studies the environmental issues – including dam removal, flood damage and shrinking glaciers – facing the three national parks in Washington. Each episode is online at kcts9.org/video.
Wednesday: 7:30 p.m., “Conversations at KCTS 9 with Ken Burns.” Host Enrique Cerna talks with Burns about his films.
Never miss a local story.
• Mount Rainier National Park is having a “film festival” this week at the Henry M. Jackson Memorial Visitor Center at Paradise. A film showcasing a different national park will be shown each day at 3:15 p.m. and a 45-minute preview of Burns’ film will be shown at 5:15 p.m.
• Klondike Goldrush National Historic Park in Seattle is showing the 45-minute preview on Saturday. Representatives from the area’s national park units will be there as well.
• Paradise Inn will have a screening event, showing each episode in the lobby the same nights as the PBS broadcasts.
• Olympic Park Institute and Olympic National Park are teaming up with KCTS and the Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles to host a premiere screening of the first episode Sunday. The public screening will be in the Peninsula Room of the hotel at 7:30 p.m. The event is free, but people are requested to RSVP by calling 360-565-3130. Door prizes will be awarded, including posters signed by Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan.
• The National Parks Conservation Association and KCTS 9 will offer a free early screening of Episode 5 an hour and a half before it airs Thursday. The event will be at the REI Flagship Store in Seattle, starting at 6:30 p.m. Following the screening, a panel of experts will share opinions and answer questions on the future of national parks, moderated by KCTS “Conversations” host Enrique Cerna.
• A viewing party of Episode 5 will be held at The Mountaineers headquarters, 7700 Sand Point Way N.E., Seattle. Sponsored by Washington’s National Park Fund and The Mountaineers, the Thursday event begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 per person.
Jeffrey P. Mayor, The News Tribune