Major League Baseball will begin installing two new, experimental replay systems this month at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field in New York to test their viability for reviewing fair/foul calls, ESPN.com reports.
The systems won’t be used to reverse or confirm calls for now, according to MLB officials familiar with the plans. But their installation will enable MLB to determine which system would best fit baseball’s needs.
“Hawkeye,” the camera-based technology used in tennis, will be tested at Citi Field, both during Mets games in September and on off days. A radar-based system, similar to the technology used to track shots in golf telecasts, will be tested at Yankee Stadium. That technology, officials said, has not been used previously to review calls in any sport.
Baseball also plans to test both systems during the Arizona Fall League and present the results in November at the next meeting of owners.
Never miss a local story.
There is no timetable for making a decision on when, or even whether, to begin using one of the two systems to review calls in major league games, officials said. However, commissioner Bud Selig has said he hopes to expand replay to include fair/foul calls and possibly trap/catch calls as soon as next season.
The use of traditional replay to review calls beyond home runs remains an option, but baseball appears to be leaning toward using more precise technology, as long as that technology proves to be quick and accurate enough to work in big league games.
MEDIA NOT AT FAULT
Boston Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine says his team’s difficult season has not been caused by the media.
Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said Thursday that he blamed the media “a little bit” for the culture of toxicity surrounding Boston since the team’s September collapse last season.
“It’s always the media. What, are you kidding, partly? I think he was totally incorrect. Partly?” Valentine said playfully before Friday night’s game against the New York Yankees before turning serious.
“The media had nothing to do with the season,” the manager said.
The Tigers have given up hopes of Victor Martinez coming back this season after having surgery on his left knee. The 33-year-old batted .330 with 103 RBI last season to help Detroit win its first division title since 1987. … Royals second baseman Chris Getz is expected to miss the rest of the season with a broken left thumb. Getz was injured in the fifth inning Friday night when he tried to bunt against the White Sox. … Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was held out of the starting lineup because of a sore left wrist. … Newly acquired Rangers starter Ryan Dempster will miss his start today against the Blue Jaysbecause of personal reasons. … The Nationals activated All-Star shortstop Ian Desmond from the 15-day disabled list and designated infielder Cesar Izturis for assignment. Desmond missed the past 25 games with a left oblique strain. … The Padres activated rookie Yasmani Grandal and placed fellow catcher Nick Hundley on the 15-day DL with a bruised right knee. … The Braves optioned reliever Cory Gearrin to Triple-A Gwinnett to make room for pitcher Tommy Hanson coming off the DL.