The major league call-up finally came for Adam Conley.
After four-plus seasons working his way through the Miami Marlins’ farm system, the Olympia native is headed to the majors, multiple sources confirmed to The Olympian on Sunday.
The call-up comes on the heels of one of his best games in Triple-A on Friday night, pitching at Tacoma’s Cheney Stadium for the New Orleans Zephyrs. Conley, a 2008 Olympia High graduate, tossed 7 1/3 innings — including seven scoreless — and tied his career high in strikeouts (eight) during New Orleans’ 6-4 victory over the Tacoma Rainiers.
Miami (24-33, fourth in the National League East) begins a three-game series in Toronto on Monday.
Never miss a local story.
Conley pitched as a starter and a reliever in college at Washington State, where he was the 72nd overall pick in 2011 by the Marlins.
The 6-foot-3, 185-pound left-hander has gone 5-2 in 10 Triple-A starts this spring with a 3.05 ERA and 44 strikeouts over 59 innings.
Greg Creighton, who was a varsity assistant coach at Olympia during Conley’s tenure as a player from 2005-08, was one of an estimated 50-75 friends and family members who attended Friday’s game.
Sitting behind home plate, Creighton thought the big league call-up might be in the cards, given the performance he was watching. Five of Conley’s eight strikeouts came over the first two innings.
“What’s not to like?” Creighton said. “I thought, ‘Why aren’t they looking at him?’ He was dealing.”
Last week, the 25-year-old Conley told The Olympian he was “happy, but not satisfied” so far on what he’s accomplished this season in Triple-A, coming off an injury-filled 2014, the first time he’s dealt with injuries in his professional career. He also admitted he hadn’t thought about if or when a big league debut would happen.
“If it takes time, then I’m willing to take the time,” Conley said. “I’m going to do what I can now every day to prepare now for when that day comes. I don’t know when that day is, or when that day ever comes.”
Now, it has.
Astros call up prospect
The Houston Astros are calling up top prospect Carlos Correa, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft.
The team announced Sunday night that Correa will join the Astros in Chicago on Monday, in time for the opener of a three-game series against the White Sox. Correa was with Triple-A Fresno after beginning the season with Double-A Corpus Christi, and was hitting a combined .335 with 10 home runs, 44 RBIs and 21 doubles with 18 stolen bases.
The Astros have also optioned right-hander Jake Buchanan to Fresno, and a subsequent move to the 40-man roster will be made Monday.
At 20, Correa will be the youngest player in the majors. He was drafted out of the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy when he was 17.
Hurt fan gets fundraiser
Friends have started an online fundraiser for a woman hit by a flying bat during Friday night’s game between the Oakland Athletics and the Boston Red Sox.
Tonya Carpenter remained in serious condition Sunday at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. She was struck in the head by Oakland player Brett Lawrie’s bat as she sat between home plate and the third base dugout at Fenway Park with her son and a friend.
Her friends say on their gofundme page the 44-year-old Carpenter was lucid after surgery Friday, but faces a long recovery.
The Baltimore Orioles activated right-hander Bud Norris from the 15-day disabled list. ... The Los Angeles Angels recalled right-hander Drew Rucinski from Triple-A Salt Lake. ... The Texas Rangers put right-hander Ross Ohlendorf on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right groin. ... The San Diego Padres activated outfielder Melvin Upton Jr. from the 15-day disabled list and sent former Mariners outfielder Abraham Almonte to Triple-A El Paso.