Assistant Sports Editor
CENTRALIA - Because her Black Hills girls team was returning only one starter from last season's 22-win team, Wolves basketball coach Robin Johnson came into this season both optimistic and pessimistic about her team's chances.
• Gallery: Black Hills vs. W.F. West Girls District Basketball
The suspense was almost too much to handle for John Wilson.
TUMWATER - In a game that was back and forth in the final quarter, with no team having more than a two-point lead for the majority of that stretch, Black Hills put the game away at the free-throw line.
• Gallery: Black Hills vs. Tumwater Girls Basketball
• Gallery: Black Hills vs. Tumwater Boys Basketball
LACEY - Speed outweighed size. Just how big was it when River Ridge was able to draw Chelsea Haskey's fourth foul early in the second half?
• Gallery: River Ridge vs. Black Hills Girls Basketball
LACEY - No matter how much quicker and more athletic Franklin was, the team still had no match for Black Hills' Chelsea Haskey.
• Gallery: Black Hills vs. Franklin Girls Basketball
LACEY - Being down double digits early? Not a problem for the Timberline High boys basketball team.
• Gallery: Timberline vs. Black Hills Boys Basketball
OLYMPIA - Chelsea Haskey said she is still adjusting to her status as the primary target of opposing defenses.
• Gallery: Black Hills vs. Capital Girls Basketball 2009
You look at his size - 5-foot-8 - and you're tempted to say Taylor Charette is too small to play basketball.
TUMWATER - Two teams headed in different directions maintained their respective courses Friday.
TUMWATER - No matter how intense the match got, the Tumwater Thunderbirds kept reminding themselves to have fun.
• Gallery: Tumwater vs. Black Hills Volleyball 2009