Right-hander Donn Roach, who spent much of the season at Triple-A Tacoma, is heading to the KT Wiz of the Korean Baseball Organization on a one-year deal for $850,000.
Roach, 26, was 6-6 with a 4.08 ERA in 22 games, including 17 starts, for the Rainiers after signing Dec. 5, 2015 with the Mariners as a minor-league free agent. He was also 2-0 with a 8.44 ERA in four big-league relief appearances.
The Mariners designated Roach for assignment on Aug. 6 in order to remove him from their 40-man roster, and he was claimed off waivers three days later by Detroit. He subsequently went to Oakland in a Sept. 5 waiver claim.
Roach chose to become a free agent in October after clearing waivers rather than accept a outright assignment by the Athletics to the minor leagues.
Never miss a local story.
COOK CHOOSES FREE AGENCY
Right-hander Ryan Cook, as expected, chose to become a free agent rather than accept an outright assignment to Triple-A Tacoma after clearing waivers.
Lefty reliever Charlie Furbush and catcher Steve Clevenger opted last week for free agency rather than accept outright assignments to the Rainiers.
Cook, 29, spent the entire season on the disabled list because of a torn back muscle. He signed a one-year deal with the Mariners in January for $1.1 million after spending the five previous years with Arizona, Oakland and Boston.
Second baseman Robinson Cano and third baseman Kyle Seager are among three finalists at their positions to win Gold Glove awards, which will be announced at 5 p.m. Tuesday on ESPN.
The award recognizes one player at each position in each league for defensive excellence. Balloting among managers and coaches comprises 75 percent of the vote. The remaining 25 percent is determined through a sabermetic formula.
Seager was the 2014 recipient and is matched this year against two other former winners: Adrian Beltre of Texas, and Manny Machado of Baltimore.
Cano won the award in 2010 and 2012 while playing for the New York Yankees. The other finalists are Boston’s Dustin Pedroia, and Detroit Ian Kinsler.
Bob Dutton: @TNT_Mariners